History of the Barn

     ​The Everett Family established Bluegrass in Suwanee in 1964 when brothers Randall and Roger began playing guitars and singing together. After the death of their brother Jerry, who was killed in the line of duty as a Gwinnett County police officer, the music became a way to soften the grief process and hold the family closer together. They taught themselves to play with the help of their father Lee, who had played the banjo in his younger days. Brother Randall was a fan of country music and enjoyed listening to the Grand Ole Opry from WSM Radio in Nashville. From the time Randall & Roger were small boys, they also listened to the local station WDYX in Buford Georgia. On one occasion, the brothers entered a talent contest being held by WDYX, with the winner earning a spot on the "Sleepy Head George Show".

    Randall and Roger became regular members of the live Saturday morning show, with the family attending each week to provide the applause. They met many musicians at the station and began to invite them back to their home to play music. With "Mama Everett's" permission and the promise of, "no foolishness and no drinking", they arrived. As the Everett Brothers found themselves playing on the radio every Saturday morning, they soon met Roy, Ruth, & Weldon Westray from Cumming Georgia.  Roy played the dobro, his wife Ruth played guitar and both helped with vocals. Weldon played the fiddle, and another new face, Slim Higdon played the banjo. It was about this time that the eldest brother Leroy joined in on the bass and the "Country Ramblers" were formed.

    The Country Ramblers had three radio shows on Saturdays--one in Cumming, one in Canton and the regular show in Buford. Roy and Weldon provided a reel-to-reel tape recorder and microphone, while the radio stations would furnish the blank tapes. The recordings took place in the living room of the family home, with Larry Hawkins as the emcee and read the advertisements between songs while Diane "Everett" Dunaway ran the recorder. The shows were recorded on Friday nights and regular jam sessions began taking place on Saturday.

     To accommodate the growing number of guest and musicians, Brother Leroy added a "Music Room" to the back of the house in 1968, complete with stage, one microphone, one amp, along with several chairs and sofas to sit on.

    As the Music Room was experiencing growing pains, Leroy had a dream of building "The Everett's Music Barn", while recovering in the hospital from a heart attack. He was a carpenter and a dreamer, and drew out the plans. Without any money, he made this dream come true with the help of family members and friends. The barn was originally an eight-room duplex apartment in Norcross where brother Kelly was a police officer. The owner donated the building if it would be torn down and moved. Leroy gathered family and friends to volunteer on Saturdays dismantling, loading, hauling and unloading in the corn field of the home place in Suwanee. The Everett's Music Barn was born.

     Brother Leroy passed away in 1971; just a very short time after the barn was completed. Mama Everett and Daddy Lee have passed also, but the dream and the music goes on. Over the years, the band members have changed along with the name officially being known as "The Everett Brothers".

    Brother Randall passed away May 16th, 2007. He is greatly missed by all who knew and saw him perform. An outstanding emcee who cannot be replaced. His songs were sung with a feeling and a clear unique voice that expressed his special love for the music.

    Brother Roger passed away October 30th, 2010. He was a talented, multiple instrument musician, who played the guitar, banjo, and fiddle.

    These brothers passed having no idea the impact the barn would have on the people who came, and continue to come today.